Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Travel to the Philippines


I met the members of my LASA(love all serve all) team at lunch on Friday(2/20). As I looked around I realized that there is a substantial age difference between myself and the rest of the members of my group. Suddenly I became nervous about the upcoming segment of my trip and my exposure to people in need. Will I fit in? What will the work be like? What will I see at the feeding sites? Would I be able to deal with it all? This is my group as we arrived in Manila, Right to left standing, Rachel, Tiffany, Janey(L), Yuhee, Michelle, Ciel, Alison(L), Hyunbin, Brian, Dan(L), Chris, Meridith(L), Virginia(Group Leader), crouched in the middle is Tommy. The (L) signifies leader or adult, to me, they all look like students.

Manila skyline














After an on time arrival in Manila and bus ride to another terminal we learned that our flight to Caticlan had been cancelled. We were rebooked on another flight that flew into Kalibo a 2 hour ride from Caticlan. Could I get that supersized, please? Never flown a prop job before. This trip is full of firsts for me!





Is this really an airport terminal?






A little different from the customs we were processed through in Seoul and Manila.







The airline provided a bus to transport us to Caticlan with a minor twist. Four members of our party would need to go by van as there wasn't enough room in the bus. Alison and I volunteer and take Brian and Hyunbin and pile in the van with a group of locals. We began to question whether it was a good idea when the driver asked to see our passport and we realized that they were in the other vehicle. Two Americans adults traveling with a couple of Korean students? The van could have taken us anywhere, we wouldn't have known the difference! I am relieved to see road signs that indicated we were in route to Caticlan. We arrive and needed to wait for the rest of our group before proceeding to the boat. Brian kills time playing his guitar.















It is 8PM Saturday evening 2/21, and we are close to our final destination, Faith Village, on the island of Boracay. It has been a long day. We started out from TCIS at 3AM when we boarded the bus that took us to Incheon airport in Seoul. Tommy, Chris(looking away), Ciel, and Yuhee on the short boat ride that took us from Caticlan to Boracay. Upon arrival we had some pizza, reflected on the day and turned in for the night.

No comments: