Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Philippines Day 1 (2/22)


I am awake early so I go out for a walk on the beach. I am escorted by Jerry a local who works for the mission. He was on security duty last night and had to break up a fight in the courtyard below our rooms at 3am. I had gone out myself to see what all the racket was. There was a large group of young adults staying at Faith Village with very little supervision. When I went out to see what all the noise was there were 30+ of them out on the lawn. If they were going to be here all week there wouldn't be much sleep.


This is Faith Village. Our bachelor pad was located on the second floor where Dan and I roomed with the young men from Korea. Roosters crow all through the night here! Like me they must be unsure of what time zone they are in.

This is such a beautiful place it is hard to believe the poverty that exists so close to this island paradise.




Group preparing for church, going over how they can act out a bible reading. This is also where we would share music and meals throughout the week.





The students and staff from TCIS act out bible reading about Jesus walking on water.














Children from the church welcome our group. They sang us many songs.


We ate lunch at El Centro, a restaurant just off the beach, a short walk from where we were staying. Upon our return I was glad to see this group checking out, perhaps sleeping will be easier tonight!









Our first visit to a feeding site, Alison and Brian assist with the distribution of food.










Tommy entertains the children with some magic.


















These children really love attention. I begin reading a book and suddenly I am surrounded by several children. As I read, I hear a voice behind me, it is Princess(third from left) reading along with me. She takes over and reads for the rest of the children and I just turn the pages. My fear of what I would face at the feeding sites was totally blown away within minutes of arriving here. Prior to "First Love" , the mission providing food at these sites, one would have seen severely malnourished children, but that is no longer the case. While they still need assistance in the food department there is more of a need for treatment of small cuts,wounds, vitamins, and attention. It is hard to leave when our scheduled time is over. After the feeding site we have dinner and head to D'Mall(just shops). These Korean kids love to shop!

No comments: